Home | COVID-19 | New aged care COVID-19 case as Newmarch House confirms sixth death
NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant speaks to the media during a press conference in Sydney. Photo: AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi

New aged care COVID-19 case as Newmarch House confirms sixth death

An aged care worker from Bodington Residential Aged Care Home in the Blue Mountains (NSW) has tested positive for coronavirus, but health officials say there is no evidence of an outbreak at the facility.

Over the weekend, news broke that a staff member at the Wentworth Falls facility tested positive for the virus but had not worked since Sunday 19 April.

The staff member tested positive on Friday after experiencing mild symptoms and had not worked in any other aged care home.

News of the case came as Anglicare announced the death of a sixth resident of Newmarch House, who had tested positive for COVID-19.

The provider said the man was 83 years old, with multiple health issues.

“We continue to think of, pray for, and remember all our residents who have died and for their families as they mourn the loss of their loved ones,” Anglicare said in a statement.

Catholic Healthcare, which owns the Bodington facility, said all residents and all staff were being tested.

NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said all those tested as of Sunday had returned negative results.

“Pleasingly, the 20 residents in the wing where this healthcare worker worked have all been screened, whether they had symptoms or not. And those test results have come back negative,” Chant said.

She expressed her appreciation for Bodington’s quick response.

In February, Catholic Healthcare established a Coronavirus Preparedness Committee – based on the early reports out of China at the time – to prepare for the virus’s potential spread.

The provider added that Bodington restricted all visitors to the home from March and that this has meant contact tracing has been efficient and focused on a particular group of residents and their care staff.

A Catholic Healthcare spokesperson said all families received a phone call on Saturday to advise them of the situation and answer any questions.

“We would like to recognise and thank the staff member who tested positive,” the spokesperson said.

“In accordance with government advice, the staff member sought GP care and testing as soon as they developed symptoms and then stayed away from work.”

Do you have an idea for a story?
Email [email protected]

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the top stories in our weekly newsletter Sign up now