Victoria has this morning announced 25 new COVID-19 deaths in the state, making it the deadliest day of the pandemic so far. These figures take the national death toll to 421.
The state found 282 cases of COVID-19; low figures compared to previous weeks where 700-plus cases were found daily. However, aged care continues to be over-represented in coronavirus cases with 22 new cases announced at the Japara Elanora Aged Care Home in Brighton, as published in the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have been over 200 deaths associated with aged care outbreaks during this Victorian second wave, while more than 120 aged care facilities have battled infections among residents and staff.
The national cabinet will develop a rapid response plan for the aged care sector later this week, while aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck confirmed specialist medical teams had entered the Doutta Galla facility at Yarraville after reports 19 residents tested positive on Saturday.
“It is understood that all negative residents have been moved from the facility to prevent spread of the virus,” he said.
But opposition Leader Anthony Albanese said the proposed plan had come far too late, given coronavirus has already run rampant through nursing homes.
“We need to do better than this,” he told 2GB radio.
“It should have been the (federal) government that was on top of this.”
Opposition spokesman for government services Bill Shorten is concerned profit is being put before care in these centres.
“We need to put people before profit,” Mr Shorten told ABC television’s Insiders program on Sunday.
“If you can make a profit, that’s good. But the problem … we’re seeing profit being made, but people not getting looked after.”
He said the system relies on the workforce being paid “crap”, having to work at multiple centres, and casuals having to take up the load.Do you have an idea for a story?
Email [email protected]