Home | Radio+TV | News | March against police after Ms Nowland’s death
Protest march on the 27th of May starting from Parramatta train station then marching to police headquarters on Charles Street, Parramatta. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Monique Harmer.

March against police after Ms Nowland’s death

A group of protesters have called for NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb to stand down over the death of Clare Nowland last week.

The great-grandmother died in Cooma Hospital last Wednesday, a week after police tasered her during an incident at an aged care home.

On Saturday, around a dozen protesters, including two police officers, marched from Parramatta train station to the NSW police headquarters.

The group waved placards and signs calling for Police Commissioner Karen Webb to resign.

Another sign said, 'Disarm the NSW Police Today.'

The protesters are looking for the police to release the camera footage of the incident worn by Senior Constable Kristian White.

Senior Constable White, 33, was charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault and will face Cooma Local Court in July.

His lawyer, Warwick Anderson, said the senior officer was distressed and concerned for the welfare of all involved.

Officers were called to Yallambee Lodge aged care home in Cooma at about 4.15 am on May 17th after Ms Nowland, who has dementia, was found by staff holding a steak knife.

After the pair failed for Ms Nowland to let go of the knife, senior constable White with 12-years-experience, allegedly discharged a taser, causing Ms Nowland to fall and hit her head.

She was taken to Cooma District Hospital, drifting 'in and out of consciousness' while her family was beside her.

There, she reportedly received end-of-life care with a fractured skull and a severe brain bleed resulting from the fall.

Last Wednesday, she died as a result of her injuries.

Mr White remains suspended with pay as investigations continue.

The Commissioner said Mr White was charged after the police conducted a 'proper investigation into the case that was not prejudiced.'

"I'm confident we have come to a position now, seven days later, that this matter is before the court without interference," Ms Webb said.

She said bodycam footage of the incident alone did not lead to the charging of the officer, but rather 'all the evidence', including witness statements and expert testimony.

Ms Webb said during the week that she had not watched the body-camera footage of the incident but had 'heard what's in the footage.'

"I am concerned about what that will reveal, and that will be brought out in court, like any other matter," she said.

The homicide squad were brought to assist in the inquiry, which was labelled as a 'critical incident' due to the nature of Ms Nowland's injuries.

NSW Police have come under heavy scrutiny in the wake of the incident, with Ms Webb saying that it's unknown why the officers handled the confrontation the wat they did. 

"We don't know why the aged care facility called police in the first place," she said on the Today Show.

"Police officers are trained in several tactical options to use the least amount of force.

"Until we actually understand why, we won't know."

Ms Webb added the incident had been an ordeal for NSW Police.

"Of course, this has been traumatic for everyone in the police force, and this is one matter while the rest of the police force continues to do their job 24/7 to protect and look after the citizens in NSW."

Do you have an idea for a story?
Email [email protected]

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the top stories in our weekly newsletter Sign up now

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *